Sunday, September 25, 2011

blog #5

Scott McLeod


Scott McLeod J.D., PhD is the creator of the “Did You Know,” videos. He is also the Associated Professor of Education Leadership at the University of Kentucky. After I read his blog post I cannot say I agree with all of his points but I understand his points regarding safety issues. Children can potentially get into a lot of trouble on the Internet and teaching them safety precautions should limit problems. I do think children should be encouraged to use technology from an early age to further their knowledge but it should be monitored to assure safety.

Both the “The iSchool Initiative (Mobile Learningo)” and “Travis Allen’s ZeitgeistYoungMinds entry,” video’s were interesting to me. The video was about a regular teenager, Travis, that wondered why so many teachers were being fired and classroom sizes were growing. As a result of large class sizes and a harder environment to learn in he created a program called iSchool. iSchool is based on an iPod that allows students, teachers, and even family to access work easily with little confusion. Travis said he thought that if  more schools used iSchool then schools would save money rather then using paper and pen.

I use to think electronic devices in the classroom where not very beneficial due to the fact they can easily side track students with games and other programs but my view has changed since I have enrolled in edm310. I would now say that if electronic devices such as an iPad are used correctly then they could be turned into a valuable learning tool as well.

I thought Eric Whitacre’s Virtual Choir was pretty impressive.  He allowed over 100 people that have never met to perform together in a virtual choir. Technology has noticeably improved in my lifetime and I am almost nervous on what its capabilities of it will be in the near future.

After watching the “Teaching in the 21st Century” video I think Kevin Roberts explains pretty well how teaching in the 21st century should be. He thinks children should be creative and be able to express themselves while learning. Without this none of the creative thinkers that influenced history would exist. Robert’s explained that children should engage on hands on learning. I believe that students should be encouraged to expressive themselves to push themselves to their potential.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Noah! I'm Katie and I'm just dropping by to leave a comment. In watching the iSchool video, I felt just the same way you did. I never could see how iPods and all that jazz could be used in the classroom and teachers still have control and their attention in the class but, the more I am in Edm 310 my opinion on that is changing just as yours has. If I could say anything about your blog to help you improve I would just say add a little more detail in your paragraphs. But other than that, good luck in Edm 310! I know I need it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You missed the meaning of Dr. McLeod's post. He was being sarcastic. Look at the closing lines: "...'cause I'm doing all of it with my kids

    can't wait to see who has a leg up in a decade or two

    can you?"

    In other words, keep your kids back. Mine will fly ahead of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noah,

    I think you may have missed the point in McLeod's post. He was using a sarcastic writing approach in order to show people just how silly it is to be fearful of using technology.

    Try reading it again with this mindset, and let me know your thoughts.

    Also, you should be adding links to the assignments and at least one picture to every post. If you need help, just come visit in the lab! :)

    Allie

    ReplyDelete